When you start a new business, it will seem like expenses come out of nowhere. With a good credit card, you won’t have to worry about being caught by surprise. You can buy what you need when you need it.
Aside from that, you can earn rewards and other useful features from using the card. Our list of the best business credit cards for startups includes cards for all kinds of businesses and a range of credit scores. Read on to find out which cards to apply your startup for in 2022.
A Comparison of the Best Business Credit Cards for Startups
|Credit Card||Best For||Intro APR||Normal APR||Annual Fee||Credit Standing Required|
|Ink Business Cash® Credit Card||Office-based businesses that want the top cashback rewards||Zero percent on purchases||13.49 percent to 19.49 percent (V)||No annual fee||Good/excellent|
|Capital One Spark Classic for Business||Best small business credit card||Not available||26.99 percent (V)||No annual fee||Fair/good, limited|
|American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card||Best business credit cards for LLC||Zero percent on purchases||13.99 percent to 21.99 percent||No annual fee||Good/excellent|
|Brex Card for Startups||Best credit card with no personal guarantee||Not available||Not available||No annual fee||Not available|
|OpenSky Secured Visa||Best small business credit card for businesses with no credit||Not available||17.39 percent (V)||$35||No credit history needed|
Best Business Credit Cards for Business Startups
To arrive at this compilation of the best credit cards for business startups, we took a look at the essential features for new business owners.
From rewards, spend categories, and fees to intro bonuses, APRs, and overall value, each factor was considered to form this selection of the best business credit cards for startups with excellent, fair, and no credit.
If you own an office-based business and want the top cashback rewards, the Ink Business Cash® Credit Card is the card to apply for. This card’s unmatched rewards game earns it the title of best credit cards for startups overall.
The Chase Ink Business CashSM card is especially great for startup office or home-office businesses. It offers five percent cashback on cable, internet, and phone services for $25,000 spent every account anniversary year.
If you’re on the go a lot, this card offers two percent back on the first $25,000 spent at gas stations and restaurants and one percent on the rest of your business purchases. Plus, there’s no cap on rewards earned.
The card also helps you save with an annual APR of zero percent in the first year, no annual fees, and no additional cost for employee cards. Gift cards, cashback, and travel rewards can be redeemed at the Apple® Ultimate Rewards Store.
You get a welcome offer of $750 for $7,500 spent within the first 90 days. With that, the card propels its way to the top in terms of high-limit business credit cards.
- A $750 bonus cash back is earned for $7,500 worth of purchases within the first three months after opening your account.
- Get a five percent cashback on $25,000 of combined purchases on internet, cable, and phone every account anniversary year.
- Two percent cashback on combined purchases at restaurants and gas stations every account anniversary year and one percent cashback on the rest of your purchases
- Fraud protection (Uses real-time fraud tracking to monitor signs of fraudulent activity in card transactions)
- Zero liability (Owner won’t be held accountable for unauthorized purchases made using the card or account info)
- No annual fees
- Cashback, gifts, travel rewards, and more can be redeemed via Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Zero percent intro annual percentage rate in the first year
- Top rewards for office-supply-related spending
- Sign-up bonus (cash)
- Purchases have introductory APR
- Zero percent APR is exclusive of balance transfers
- The balance transfer fee is at a high five percent
- Best suits office-oriented businesses
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Renting for the purpose of business means coverage is of prime importance. Cash reimbursement of up to the actual value of your vehicle can be provided by this card in the event of theft or collision, locally or internationally.
- Purchase protection: offers damage or theft coverage of up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 for each account per year for new purchases for four months
- Extended warranty protection: time period of US company’s warranty is extended by one year for eligible warranties of less than three years
Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business is one of the best business credit cards for startups with fair credit. New business owners who have fair credit get a huge boost from this card’s two most valuable offerings: one percent cashback on business-related purchases with no limits and zero annual fees.
Its interest rate is relatively high at 26.99 percent, so you’ll want to pay your credit card bills in full and on time as much as possible. Consistent on-time payments help boost your credit score, making you eligible for a broader range of cards.
If you have poor credit that requires repairing, this card also happens to be one of the best credit cards for building credit.
- One percent cashback per swipe
- Great for building business credit
- Free employee cards
- Responsible usage boosts credit score
- Best for fair credit new business owners
- Zero annual fee
- Non-existent intro APR
- Zero sign-up bonus
- Purchase protection: Items that are lost or damaged within the first three months of purchase will be either replaced, repaired, or reimbursed by Capital One
- Extended warranty: additional warranty protection will be provided on eligible items purchased using the business card. The time period can extend 12 months past the company’s warranty.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: You get coverage for theft or damage due to collision on an eligible car rented using your business card.
Are there any two categories you spend a lot in? The American Express® Business Gold Card could be the card for you. It’s best for those running a consulting business and constantly on the go.
Whether you’re driving or flying, you can acquire 4x points on the first $150,000 worth of combined purchases under two categories. As for which categories you get the 4x points benefit, you can choose from these six:
- Gas stations
- Computer software (Cloud systems included) and hardware
For the rest, purchases will earn you 1x points.
A welcome bonus of 70,000 points also awaits card users who spend $10,000 on eligible purchases in the first 90 days. If you’re someone who just started a consulting business, this is the business credit card for you.
- 70,000 membership rewards points as a welcome offer if you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases using the Business Gold Card in the first three months of membership
- Additional rewards (Acquire 4x membership points on the two select categories you spend the most monthly. Purchases in four of the six categories earn you 1x membership points.)
- The 4x points are applicable to the first $150,000 spent in these two chosen categories every calendar year.
- Bonus on airfare (Using all or part of your points to book an eligible flight with Amex Travel can earn you 25 percent of those points back. You can get up to 250,000 points back each calendar year.)
- Option to pay over time (You can choose whether to pay in full for eligible purchases or pay them over time with interest.)
- Terms apply
- Acquire 4x membership points monthly on purchases under two select categories per month
- Option to pay your balance in full per month, or pay them over time with interest
- $295 annual fee
- Financing opportunities are not interest-free
- Premium roadside assistance: Get this service up to four times annually, free of charge. The service is inclusive of up to 10 miles of towing, flat tire changes, lockout service, jump starts, delivery of up to two gallons of gas, and winching.
- Return protection: Amex refunds you for the purchase of eligible items when their stores won’t accept undamaged returns. Coverage is limited to within three months of purchase, $300 per item, and $1,000 per calendar year.
- Baggage insurance: Lost, stolen, or damaged baggage makes you eligible for up to $500 of coverage for checked bags and $1,250 for carry-ons.
- Extended warranty: Gets you an additional year of warranty on eligible items with five years or less warranties.
- Purchase protection: Coverage for damage or theft of eligible items within three months of purchase. There is a $1,000 coverage limit per incident.
This Chase Ink Business credit card lets you pocket 1.5 percent on each purchase of an eligible item. For small business owners in charge of all the aspects of their business, this is the business credit card for your needs.
The 1.5 percent cash back applies to any business purchase. Plus, you also get to benefit from zero percent APR on eligible items bought during the first year.
Like all the other cards from this company, there is a $750 introductory for users who spend $7,500 in the first 90 days. Gift cards, travel, and cashback rewards can be redeemed at the Apple® Ultimate Rewards store.
This is our top pick for the best small business credit cards for startups.
- Introductory offer of $750 cashback once you spend $7,500 in the first 90 days of becoming a member
- Pocket 1.5% cashback on every business purchase
- No annual fee
- Gift cards, travel, and cashback rewards can be redeemed via Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Employee cards let you earn these rewards faster at zero additional cost. Spending limits can be set for more responsible usage.
- Fraud protection (Card transactions are tracked for possible signs of fraud through real-time fraud monitoring.)
- Unauthorized charges on your card or using your account info won’t be a liability
- Zero percent intro APR on purchases in the first year
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back rewards on all business purchases
- Zero percent intro APR for the first year on purchases
- Period for Intro APR is not applicable to balance transfers
- Charges fees for foreign transactions
- Great personal credit score to qualify
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: You get reimbursed up to the actual cash value of a vehicle rented for the purpose of business in the event that the vehicle is stolen or sustains collision damage locally or abroad.
- Purchase protection: For the first four months, new purchases that get damaged or stolen will be covered up to $10,000 for each claim, limited to $50,000 for each account per calendar year.
- Extended warranty protection: Gives an additional year extension of the manufacturer’s warranty on warranties less than three years.
LLC owners can expect ease of use and great convenience from this business credit card. The American Express Blue Business CashTM card offers a cashback of two percent on all business purchases amounting to $50,000 per account per year. One percent of that automatically credits to your statement.
Moreover, the card has a zero percent intro APR on purchases for the first year and requires no annual fee. A $250 credit on statement can be earned in the first 90 days through $3,000 worth of business purchases.
It’s our choice for the best business credit cards for LLC.
- Statement credit of $250 once combined purchases amounting to $3,000 is made in the first three months of membership
- Pocket two percent cashback on every purchase of eligible items up to $50,000 per year. One percent of that credits automatically to your statement.
- The various aspects of your business are constantly changing, so you need this card’s Expanded Buying Power allows you to spend beyond the limits of your credit. Keep in mind that the amount you can spend also has its limits. It adjusts according to card use, credit record, payment history, and others.
- Zero percent intro APR on purchases made during the first year. A variable rate of 13.99 to 21.99 percent then applies based on the user’s creditworthiness and other factors known to the company.
- Terms apply
- No annual fee
- Zero percent intro APR
- The rate of rewards is fixed
- No annual fee
- Welcome bonus
- No cash advance allowed
- Charges for foreign transactions
- $50,000 cap in yearly spending for two percent cashback
- Expanded buying power: Grants your business flexible buying power or the freedom to spend beyond the limits of your credit when necessary. While the amount you spend beyond your credit limit is limited, it adjusts to your credit record, card use, payment history, and other factors.
- Car rental damage and loss insurance: Coverage for theft or damage of a vehicle rented for business purposes. This is given that the territory is covered and the card was used to pay for the entire rental, and the collision damage waiver of the rental company is declined.
The U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard® offers zero percent APR for a total of 15 billing cycles. It’s a great credit card to have if you’re self-employed.
Even after you pocket the intro bonus cashback of $500 after spending the required $4,500 on eligible items, there’s still so much this card has in store.
For example, there’s the three percent cashback on purchases at office supply shops, mobile phone service providers, and gas stations. Other than that, eligible purchases earn you one percent cashback.
The cashback total has no limit, and there’s no annual fee, as well. The first 15 billing cycles are interest-free at zero percent APR, so feel free to make all the large purchases you want. It’s a great business credit card for the self-employed.
- For a limited time, users can pocket $500 in cashback. In the first five months or 150 days of membership, you just need to spend $4,500 using your card.
- A card that gives back on all the eligible needs of your business
- Purchases at gasoline stations, office supply shops, phone service providers, and EV charging stations can earn you three percent cashback
- One percent cash back on eligible purchases other than the four mentioned above
- When you bookcar rentals and prepaid hotels through Travel Rewards Center, you earn five percent cashback
- Cashbacks earned have no limit
- Non-expiring rewards
- $100 statement credit earnings for recurring expenses on software subscription
- Zero percent intro APR on purchases and balances for up to 15 billing cycles. Variable APR of 14.24 to 23.24 percent after that
- No annual fee
- Purchases above $100 can be split into equal monthly payments should you decide to pay over time
- The expense management tool lets you access and sync your expenses, generate reports, set controls for employee cards, and more
- Terms and conditions apply
- Zero percent APR for both balance transfers and eligible purchases
- Cashback rewards are unlimited
- No annual fee
- Even in the intro period, there is still a charge for balance transfers
- Intro APR is not applicable to cash advances
- Rental collision damage waiver: Car rentals for business made through the card provide coverage for theft or accidents made in any territory. Coverage is primary, so it is not necessary to accept the rental agency’s insurance or use your personal auto insurance in case this happens. There is a $50,000 cap for coverage.
- Purchase assurance: You get reimbursed or have your item repaired by US Bank in case it is stolen or damaged within the first three months of purchase. There is a limit of $1,000 per claim, up to $25,000 for each account per year. Items that are lost and left out of reach that cannot be seen are not included in the coverage.
- Extended warranty protection: U.S. Bank will double or add an additional year to the manufacturer’s warranty for warranties that expire within five years. Thus, if your item’s warranty is six months, the Bank will add another six months to that to make it one year. The item will be reimbursed or replaced by the issuer up to the amount charged on your card but limited to $10,000.
If you expect a fast and steady rise for your new business in the coming months, the Brex Card for Startups has you covered. This card’s best feature is that it scales with your business quickly.
It’s a charge card that requires payment for the balance of every billing cycle. You determine if you want Brex to automatically withdraw the balance daily or monthly.
For payments made each day, a Brex Cash account is required. This account’s funds are equivalent to your credit limit. No matter the size of your business, you won’t need to meet any criteria for everyday payments.
You will also be eligible for the complete range of points rewards, from 1x to 8x points on all eligible purchases.
- Rideshare earns you 8x points
- Brex travel 5x points
- Restaurants 4x points
- Eligible purchases of Apple products 3x points
- 1.5x points on ads
The rest of the purchases not covered will still earn you 1x points.
For monthly payments, the company needs visibility into your account to determine your credit limit. This limit can be up to 20 times higher than most business credit cards. Points can be used towards miles, gift cards, cash gifts, or credited to your statement.
There are no fees and credit checks, making this a top pick for credit cards with no personal guarantee.
- This corporate card for startup businesses is great for technology companies and other corporations in their early stages that are based in America and have professional funding
- No need for a security deposit
- Does not impact the personal credit score
- Rewards galore (2x on software subscriptions, 3x on restos, 4x on travel, and 8x on rideshare)
- $100,000 minimum of funds in the bank account and US EIN required
- Easy online application (Virtual card is acquired no longer than five minutes, and a physical card is mailed shortly after.)
- 10 to 20 times higher than other cards’ credit limits
- The expense management tool is embedded
- No charges for foreign transactions
- Great for building business credit
- No security deposit or a personal guarantee
- The best rewards and highest credit limits
- $100,000 minimum in your corporate bank account
- You need to pay the balance needs in full each billing cycle
- Capture receipts: The Brex app grants easy access to expense tracking and lets you upload receipts to match your statement. Receipts may also be submitted via email and text.
- Expense management: Brex integrates with a wide range of accounting software such as NetSuite®, Expensify®, QuickBooks®, and Xero™.
- Team additions: Add issue cards, new users, and set and monitor spending limits of everyone using company credit cards
If you’re a new business owner whose credit has suffered in the past, this card won’t judge you for it. Minimal or poor credit history won’t stop you from giving your business what it needs if you’re a Wells Fargo customer.
The Wells Fargo Business Secured Card builds credit and earns the user rewards with each swipe. You have the option to choose from 1.5 percent cash back for every dollar spent on eligible purchases, or a point for each dollar spent.
A $500 to $25,000 cash deposit in a collateral savings or checking account is required to have control over your credit limit. Wells Fargo will conduct intermittent reviews on this account to determine your qualification for an unsecured business card.
This is our choice business credit card for new businesses without credit history.
- Cashback option (1.5 percent cash back per each dollar spent)
- Rewards points option (One point for every dollar spent and 1,000 bonus points for spending $1,000 or more per billing cycle)
- Zero fees for the annual rewards program
- $500 to $25,000 collateral deposit
- Zero liability
- Those with credit scores below 580 can apply
- Choose between points rewards or fixed-rate cash backs
- Minimum of $500 deposit to collateral savings or checking account
- Requires an annual fee
- Purchase Assurance: The company will reimburse, fix, or repair items that have been stolen or damaged within three months of purchase.
- Design Studio: A business design or personal image may be designed on your credit card.
With the US Bank Business Platinum Card, your zero percent APR on balance transfers and purchases gets extended. It recognizes the need of new business owners to have more time to pay off expensive purchases, such as computers, equipment, or furniture.
As such, it offers zero interest for 20 full billing cycles, which means close to two years of paying interest-free. That kind of advantage lets you budget monthly payments so that you won’t have any balance left by the time normal APR is in effect.
This earns the top spot in our selection of the best business credit cards with zero percent APR.
- For a limited time (20 billing cycles), zero percent APR on balance transfers and purchases is extended. You will then have to work with a variable APR of 12.74 percent to 21.74 percent.
- Split qualified purchases worth more than $100 combined into equal monthly payments through the ExtendPay plan.
- Expensive management software (Gives access to and syncs expenses, generates reports, and sets controls for employee cards)
- Terms and conditions apply
- Extended zero percent APR intro period
- Balance transfers and purchases are both included in zero percent APR offer
- No annual fee
- Intro and ongoing rewards are not available
- Charges balance transfer fee during the intro period
- Great credit score to qualify
- Extended warranty protection: US Bank doubles the original warranty up to a year for warranties less than three years. $10,000 is the coverage limit per item.
- Purchase protection: US Bank offers coverage for stolen and damaged qualified purchases within three months of purchase. There is a $500 limit per claim and $50,000 limit per account per year.
This card offers zero percent APR for one calendar year and lets you earn 2x rewards points for every dollar spent on qualified purchases.
Pocket 2x points on $50,000 worth of purchases spent in the first year and 1x points thereafter. In that same year, you can save money thanks to the card’s zero percent APR. There’s also an intro offer of 15,000 points once you spend $3,000 on qualified purchases during the first 90 days.
Our choice for the best business credit card with zero annual fee goes to The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express.
- Pocket 15,000 in membership rewards points after spending $3,000 on qualified purchases in the first three months of membership.
- 2x rewards points on daily business purchases, such as client dinners and office supplies. The 2x will only apply to the first $50,000 worth of purchases during that first year; 1x points will be earned after that.
- Expanded buying power (Earn the freedom to spend beyond your credit limit. However, note that this amount is limited; it will be based on your credit record, payment history, card use, and other factors.)
- Zero percent APR on qualified purchases in the first year and a variable rate of 13.99 percent to 21.99 percent after that based on creditworthiness and other factors known by American Express
- Terms and conditions apply
- No annual fee
- No annual fee
- Zero percent APR on eligible purchases and balance transfers in the first 12 months
- Bonus points as a welcome offer
- Rewards at a fixed rate
- Expanded buying power
- No cash advances
- Charges foreign transaction fee
- $50,000 cap for 2x points rewards
- Extended warranty protection: The item’s original warranty will be matched by American Express should it not exceed two years. Beyond two years and up to five years, an additional two years will be added to the original warranty by the company. There is a limit of $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per user per year.
- Purchase protection: There will be either a replacement or repair (or you will be reimbursed) for an item that was stolen or damaged within four months of purchase. There is a limit of $1,000 per claim and up to $50,000 for each account per calendar year.
Best Startup Business Credit Cards With No Credit
Acquiring capital can be challenging for those who have no business credit history. This applies regardless of whether you’re starting a new business or in search of financing for your existing company.
If this applies to your business, you’ll want to seriously consider applying for a business credit card. Don’t worry about not having any credit history; some credit card companies will still have your options. To apply for the following cards, personal credit history is all you need.
|Best Startup Business Credit Card With No Credit||What’s In It For You|
|Capital One Spark 1% Classic for Business||Zero annual fee|
Fair credit (above 580)
One percent cashback rate
No welcome offer
Normal APR at 26.99%
|OpenSky Secured Visa||No one-time fees|
Annual fees of $35
Regular APR at 17.39%
No credit check
|First Progress Platinum Select Mastercard||No one-time fees|
9.99 percent APR
Annual fees of $49
Get your deposit back any time
|American Express Blue Business Plus Credit Card||Intro APR of zero percent for the first 12 months|
2x points for the first $50,000 spent on eligible items
No monthly or annual fees
Requires excellent credit score
|CreditOne Bank’s Platinum Visa||One percent rewards cashback on daily purchases|
Increase opportunities on the credit line
Choose when to pay your bills
Many would agree that this is the best small business credit card because of its long history of serving small businesses with fair and accessible credit. It has no annual fee and offers a one percent cashback on all qualified purchases.
This card has the perfect platform for building or rebuilding personal or business credit. Those with a fair credit score of 580 or higher are free to apply. Because of that, the Spark Classic has become one of the best credit cards for businesses with little to no credit history.
If you’re in search of a small business credit card that will honor your lack of credit history, OpenSky Secured Visa could be what you need. You won’t have to undergo a credit check when applying for this card.
OpenSky reports to the major credit bureaus, which means creditless companies and startups can build their histories quickly. That said, OpenSky cards require an account deposit of at least $200.
Small businesses with zero credit history can take advantage of the premier credit card program that is First Progress Platinum Select Mastercard. It features low annual fees, no one-time fees, and an incredibly secure credit card for first-time holders.
That said, the card won’t be available in some states (Wisconsin, Arkansas, and New York). Though if you do manage to get your hands on it, you’ll be happy to know that it also reports to all major credit bureaus. That means it’s a great choice for boosting business credit scores.
This is an excellent credit card for small businesses with little to no credit history but a good personal credit score. It features a zero percent APR on transfers and purchases for a limited time (12 months), after which an APR rate of 13.24% to 19.24% will start to apply.
While monthly and annual fees do not apply with this card, you will need an impressive personal credit standing to get approved for it. The American Express Blue Business Plus offers double reward points for the first $50,000 spent yearly on qualified purchases.
If you’re aiming to rebuild credit, CreditOne’s Platinum Visa offers the perfect design. For this reason, it’s also one of the best cards for new businesses with no credit history.
The card is unsecured, making it a good option for businesses with poor credit standing and too strapped for cash to provide a deposit.
The Platinum Visa has a $75 annual fee for the first year and a $99 fee each year for the succeeding years. CreditOne also reports to all major credit bureaus, so it’s great for building or rebuilding credit.
What Credit Card Should You Choose for Your Startup?
When choosing a business credit card for your startup, pick one that’s best tailored to your needs. In particular, you want a card that offers high rewards for large purchases and discounts on daily purchases if you’re new in the game.
If you aren’t too sure if a card is right for you, sit on it for a bit and do more research. Your business credit standing can make or break the business, so choose your cards wisely.
Make sure it holds all the features that contribute towards building an impressive credit standing and, thus, a future that has you capable of purchasing anything your business needs when it needs it.
Best Business Credit Cards for Startups FAQs
What have people been asking the internet about startup business credit cards? Let’s find out the answers to some of the most common questions.
1. Can a startup get a business credit card?
Yes, it can. In fact, there are credit card companies willing to offer cards to startup businesses that have yet to establish their credit history or sales revenue.
Applications are assessed based on the owner’s personal credit, and options range from those with poor to excellent ratings. Those with poor to no credit standing may also be offered cards that allow them to improve their credit score.
2. What is the quickest way to get a business credit card for an LLC?
The quickest way to secure a business credit card for your LLC is to do your homework. Research the card options available to your business and apply for the one most suited to your needs. A few things that should improve your odds of getting approved is a good personal credit score.
Alternatively, you can choose cards specifically for applicants in your credit score range. Nothing is stopping you from applying for cards that require good to excellent credit standing. However, getting approved for them will be a long shot or even impossible.
3. What credit score do I need to apply for a small business credit card?
Small business credit cards offer options across the complete range of credit scores, from zero to excellent credit standing. The key to not having a hard time with this is to apply for cards whose requirements you can meet.
Even if your credit score is poor or non-existent, that shouldn’t stop you from getting a suitable credit card for your small business.
4. Does a poor personal credit score keep you from getting a business credit card?
No, it doesn’t. There are cards designed specifically for those with zero to bad credit history. You can still become a cardholder even if you belong to this category as long as you choose the right card.
These cards don’t require applicants to undergo credit checks. A secured business credit card is also a good option for those who aren’t doing too well credit-wise.
5. How do you build business credit easily?
To build business credit easily, all you have to do is apply for net terms with suppliers and vendors. Purchasing supplies, materials, inventory, or other things on credit gets reported to business credit reporting agencies.